Have you ever decided to make aromatherapy play dough? Me neither! But as it turns out it’s really quite fun! This is a fun activity when kiddos are stuck indoors due to the cold weather outside. You can always use a variety of oils when making this (Let your kids pick their favorite smells) but I always like to stick just one or two so that each color has a distinct smell.
Some fun essential oils could include: Wild Orange, Peppermint, Lemon, Rosemary, or Lavender.
2 cups colored water (Food Dye)
1 cup salt
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 tablespoon olive oil
5 drops of essential oils
- Combine all ingredients, except for essential oils, in a large saucepan and stir until combined. Do not turn on the heat yet.
- Once well mixed, put over medium heat.
- Using a spatula, continue to stir ingredients together until it forms a ball. Note: Don’t overcook as it will lead to dry play dough.
- Remove from heat and cool on parchment paper.
- Once cool, add five drops of your favorite essential oil and knead until thoroughly combined.
- You’re done! Just store in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for months of fun.